The National Specialty Herding Champion Award is presented annually by the ACDCA to the Advanced dog earning the combined high score on cattle at the National Specialty Herding Trials. The award is presented at the Awards Banquet. To be eligible, a dog must run in the Advanced Class in both cattle trials. The Championship will be decided in the following order:
- The high combined total of two qualifying scores.
- Should no dog earn two qualifying scores, the high combined total of a qualifying score and a non-qualifying score.
- Should no dog earn a qualifying score, the award will be given to the dog earning the high combined of two non-qualifying scores.
- Should no dog earn two non-qualifying scores, the award will be given to the dog earning the highest single score.
- In the case of a tie score, the tie shall be broken in the following order:
By the two trial combined high score on the cross drive.
By the two trial combined elapsed times.
By single cross-drive score.
By single elapsed time.